Police urge drivers to slow down with double demerits in force

USEHighwayPatrol001

NSW Police is urging motorists to slow down and drive safely as double demerits come into force for the holiday period.

Double demerits are in place from today, Wednesday, December 24 to Sunday, January 4, 2026, targeting speeding, mobile phone use, and seatbelt and motorcycle helmet offences.

The double demerits period is in addition to Operation Christmas and New Year 2025, which will also run until Sunday January 4, 2026.

The high-visibility police operation involves officers from Traffic and Highway Patrol Command with the assistance of general duties and specialist police from all police commands and districts across the state.

Five deaths have occurred on the roads since the operation began on Friday, December 19.

Police have detected nearly 3000 speeding offences, 231 drink-driving offences and 489 positive drug driving offences.

There have been more than 116,000 breath tests and 6330 drug tests conducted.

So far this year, 351 people have lost their lives on New South Wales roads, which is 28 more than the same time last year.

Minister for Police and Counter-terrorism, Yasmin Catley, said police would be out in force across New South Wales over the Christmas and New Year period, but ultimately road safety came down to the choices drivers made.

“Double demerits are in place to reinforce the importance of following the road rules, particularly during busy holiday periods when traffic volumes are higher,” Ms Catley said.

“Every choice on the road has consequences. People must take responsibility for their actions and ensure they are not putting themselves or others at risk.

“NSW Police will not tolerate reckless or dangerous behaviour and will use every power at their disposal so everyone can celebrate safely this holiday period.

“I thank NSW Police for their tireless work keeping the community safe over Christmas and the New Year, often at the expense of time with their own families, so others can enjoy the holiday period safely,” she said.

Minister for Roads, Jenny Aitchison said road safety was everyone’s responsibility, and the Christmas and New Year holiday period was one of the busiest times on our road network.

“The government is pulling every lever to make our roads safer, but we can’t change the decisions of motorists. We need every motorist across NSW to ensure they’re making safe choices behind the wheel,” Ms Atchinson said.

“Every death on our roads is one too many, and we are urging all drivers to make safe choices so they can get home safely to their loved ones this holiday period.

“The number of deaths on our roads is not just a number. Every single person who has died one our roads this year left behind family, friends and loved ones.

“Double demerits are in place to deter dangerous behaviour and remind motorists that speeding, using a mobile phone, not wearing a seatbelt or riding without a helmet can have devastating consequences.

Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner David Driver said the choices drivers made on the road could mean the difference between families reuniting safely or facing tragedy.

“Christmas and the New Year is traditionally a time to celebrate and enjoy time with loved ones. We want all people who to set out on our roads to get to their destination safely,” he said.

“Every road user has a moral and legal responsibility to use the roads without putting others at risk and no one wants to be saying ‘sorry’ after a crash because then it is too late.

“We encourage passengers to call out dangerous behaviour and drivers should not get behind the wheel if they have consumed alcohol, taken drugs or are fatigued.

“We will have all our available resources deployed across the state focusing on deterring and detecting risky driving behaviour.”

Plan trips by downloading the Live Traffic NSW app, visiting www.livetraffic.com, calling 13 27 01, or using the TfNSW journey planning tool at www.myjourneynsw.info.

Members of the public are urged to report motorists engaged in dangerous driving to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333000.

 

Follow Moree Online News on Facebook

Related Stories

Walgett: Critical incident declared following death of a man during police operation

A critical incident investigation has been declared after the self-inflicted death of a man in Walgett. Just before 8pm yesterday, Monday 4, police were called to a property on Wimbledon Road, Walgett, following reports of a concern for welfare for a 59-year-old man. Officers from Central North Police District conducted patrols of the property and [...]

USEPoliceTape9999

Tamworth: Woman charged after serious injury motor vehicle crash

A woman has been charged following a serious injury motor vehicle crash near Tamworth earlier this year. Emergency services were called to New England Highway, Garoo, approximately 40km south of Tamworth, just after 3.40pm on February 13, following reports of a collision between an SUV and a ute. Officers attached to Oxley Police District were [...]

USECops0099

NSW Country Mayors Association meets with Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon

THE Country Mayors Association of NSW played host to NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon at a recent gala dinner. NSW Minister for Local Government, Ron Hoenig, was also a guest speaker at the special function held at the Royal Automobile Club of Australia in Sydney. Nearly 150 rural, remote and regional New South Wales mayors, [...]

USEMayorsAssocLanyon001